Plan Your Field Trip
It’s Easy. And Free.*
Please Note: Due to COVID-19, we have transformed your field trip welcome, orientation, and lunch experience! Your learning experience starts and ends in the newly renovated Crown Family Welcome Center. Improvements include more efficient pathways, an immersive orientation film, and a beautiful lunchroom. The Crown Family Welcome Center is your home base throughout your visit and designed to provide a comfortable space that sparks curiosity and promotes conversation. Please note that for safety, lunch seating will be limited and advance reservations are required.
- The Chicago History Museum is committed to the safety of all our guests and staff. Please familiarize yourself with our COVID-19 safety guidelines in advance of your visit. While masks are recommended and appreciated, they are no longer required.
- Plan to spend one to three hours at the Museum. Visits begin at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Advance reservations are required.
- Request 25-minute lunchroom seating. You must request in advance as lunch seating is limited. Storage is provided for students who bring their own lunches and beverages. You may also order box lunches for your students. Older students may wish to order ahead from the North & Clark Café. Just scan this QR code:
- Indicate the size of your group. Maximum group size is 100 for a self-guided visit.
- Secure chaperones. We require one adult for every ten students in grades 3–12. For groups in grades pre-K–2, we require one adult for every five children. Each adult exceeding these ratios will be charged $10. Divide your students into groups of ten prior to arriving at the Museum. A map of the Museum will be prepared for each group leader.
- Backpacks of any size are not allowed in exhibition spaces. Place medical supplies and and other items in another type of bag (no larger than 13 x 12 x 4 inches) to be worn on your front or at your side. Nothing can be worn on your back in the Museum’s exhibition galleries and public spaces.
- All Illinois school groups are admitted free of charge. *Out-of-state groups are charged discounted admission.
On-Site Student Worksheets
Help your students explore the Chicago History Museum by using these graphic organizers. Each is designed to foster close looking skills, create conversation, and spark inquiry. Use these during a visit and then discuss back in the classroom! All worksheets have English and Spanish text.