Engaging Instructional Strategies.
From civic learning to core curriculum, we’ve got you covered.
Our professional development programs provide rich and unique experiences with history. Connect with the Museum’s exhibitions and resources. Engage with staff and experts.
Virtual Teacher Workshop | Millions of Moments
Saturday, February 6, 9:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m., $20
Examine highlights from the Chicago Sun-Times photograph collection, a recent major acquisition for the Chicago History Museum. This rich collection spans the 1940s through the early 2000s and captures the city’s breaking news in sports, politics, entertainment, and Chicago’s neighborhoods. The session begins with a virtual visit to the exhibition Millions of Moments: The Chicago Sun-Times Photo Collection, which features 150 images. Participants will then engage in interactive learning strategies to delve deeper into the history, context, and art of the photographs and learn how to access the images to incorporate them into your instruction. Afterward, we will email you free PDFs of the materials and strategies used during the workshop. 3 PD hours. Recommended for teachers of grades K–12.
Virtual Teacher Tuesdays
5:00–6:30 p.m. $5 per session.
These informal sessions focus on a topic and teaching strategy. Meet with Museum educators, receive resource materials, and develop your own instructional planning. 1.5 PD hours per session. Recommended for teachers of grades 3–12.
- December 8 – Learning from Objects. Become a historian in your own home! Using everyday objects, CHM educators Heidi Moisan and Megan Clark will share analysis and interpretive strategies that you can engage your students with virtually or in person.
- February 23 – American Medina: Stories of Muslim Chicago. Delve into the oral history–based American Medina: Stories of Muslim Chicago exhibition with CHM educators Heidi Moisan and Megan Clark to learn more about the experiences of the Chicago Muslim community and how they helped shape our city.
Save These Dates!
Additional professional development opportunities are in the works for this spring. While the dates are set, we will determine times and format based on Chicago and Illinois health and safety guidelines in early 2021.
- Saturdays, March 6 and 20, morning – Teacher Workshop | Democracy Limited: Chicago Women and the Vote
- Saturday, May 1, morning – Teacher Workshop | Cultivating Civics in Your Classroom
- Tuesday, May 18, early evening – Teacher Tuesday
Are you interested in a custom in-service experience?
We’re happy to plan with you. To get started, email Heidi Moisan, school programs manager, at [email protected]
The Museum publishes a regular e-newsletter for educators. Subscribe today to receive timely information about new classroom resources and professional development opportunities.