Plan Your Field Trip
It’s Easy. And Free.*
Please Note: We are transforming your field trip welcome, orientation, and lunch experience! Beginning in late Fall 2019, your learning experience starts and ends in the newly renovated Crown Family Welcome Center. Improvements include more efficient pathways, an immersive orientation film, and a beautiful lunchroom. The Crown Family Welcome Center is your home base throughout your visit and designed to provide a comfortable space that sparks curiosity and promotes conversation. Please note that due to construction, lunch seating may be limited at times.
- Plan to spend two to three hours at the Museum. Visits begin at 9:30 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
- Request 30-minute lunchroom seating (available for up to grade 8). Storage is provided for students who bring their own lunches and beverages. You may also order bag lunches for your students.
- Indicate the size of your group. Maximum group size is 120 for a self-guided visit.
- Secure chaperones. We require one adult for every ten students in grade 3 and above. For groups in grades Pre-K–2 we require one adult for every five children. Each adult exceeding these ratios will be charged $9.
- Divide your students into groups of ten prior to arriving at the Museum. A map of the Museum will be prepared for each group leader.
- For workshop reservations, the maximum number of students is sixty-five or two classrooms per day.
- Backpacks of any size are not allowed in exhibition spaces. Place medical supplies and and other items in another type of bag (no larger than 13 x 12 x 4 inches) to be worn on your front or at your side. Nothing can be worn on your back in the Museum’s exhibition galleries and public spaces.
- All Illinois school groups are admitted free of charge. *Out-of-state groups are charged discounted admission. See the chart below for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
History à la Cart activity station schedule
At History à la Cart stations, students actively analyze and interpret the past. Facilitated by trained staff and volunteers, these 20-minute hands-on experiences are located in the Chicago: Crossroads of America exhibition. Recommended for students in grades 3 to 8.
Although we try to stick to this schedule as closely as possible, we may occasionally have to substitute one station for another.