Volunteers bring skills, life experience, and energy to supporting the Museum’s mission and the work of our staff, and their time and talent are an integral part of our success. If you are college-age or older, have some free time either during the week or on the weekend, and are looking for a rewarding, enriching experience, then volunteering at the Museum may be for you.
- We are not currently recruiting new volunteers. Keep an eye on this page for updates.
Training and Commitment
Positions range from a six month to a one year commitment in light of the training involved. Training may include seminars with talks from guest speakers, artifact-handling sessions, mentoring, and other tutoring. The weekly hourly commitment varies per position, but most volunteers commit an average of three to six hours per week.
How to Apply to Become a Volunteer
It’s easy to apply! Download the position description(s) of interest and the CHM Volunteer Application, and return it to the address indicated. Once we receive your completed application, we will send recommendation forms to your listed references. Next, your material will be submitted to the appropriate volunteer project supervisor.
- 15 percent discount in the Museum Store
- Discounted prices to Chicago History Museum programs
- Invitations to special events, exhibition openings, and receptions
- Chicago History magazine
- Invitations to annual volunteer recognition events
- Opportunities for free and low-fee enrichment programs and excursions