Enhancing Classroom Learning for Educators Serving Spanish-Speaking Students in Chicago Public Schools
Through the Chicago Literacies program, the Chicago History Museum partners with at least ten Chicago public schools over the entire school year to support third and fourth grade teachers in strengthening their bilingual (English/Spanish) students’ reading skills while learning about Chicago.
The program is completely free to participating schools and includes Spanish and English curricular resources, teacher professional development, museum visits, classroom visits, student and parent workshops, and a culminating family event at the Museum that features students’ work.
Its curricular approach is culturally relevant and focuses on the challenges, choices, and changes Chicagoans face with the hope of connecting migrant and first-generation Chicagoans to their city and inspiring them to plan for the future.
In participating in the Chicago History Museum’s (CHM) Chicago Literacies program, you agree to the following:
- Participate in all professional development opportunities provided
- Integrate the curricular resources and activities into your instruction
- Assist Museum educators in coordinating parent workshops, Museum and classroom visits
- Bring students on a field trip to the Museum in coordination with curricular resources
- Assist Museum educators in the execution of Chicago Learners Family and Community Day event
- Assist Museum educators in evaluating the program
Upon your participation, you will receive the following from CHM:
- A curricular toolkit that includes bilingual (English/Spanish), nonfiction texts and literacy activities
- ISBE continuing education credits
- Bus transportation for students to visit the Museum (limit 1 bus per teacher)
- Bus transportation for students’ families to visit the Museum during Chicago Learners Family and Community Day (There will be a limited number of buses per school, assigned to each school on a first come, first served basis.)
- In-school classroom support leading up to culmination of program
- A stipend at the conclusion of the program
CHICAGO LITERACIES APPLICATION
Thank you for your interest in Chicago Literacies. Applications for the 2022–2023 school year are now closed.