2018 History Fair Contest and Event Dates
History Fair Paloozas
Paloozas are gatherings of students, librarians, volunteer coaches, historians, and History Fair staff. Talk one-on-one with librarians about finding sources—everything from unique databases to books to special collections. Meet with coaches. Use sources from the special collections (if applicable). Participate in workshops that are focused on narrowing a topic, building a thesis, connecting primary sources, or developing a documentary. Each Palooza offers different workshops (details to come).
- Saturday, January 12, 2019 at Harold Washington Library Center
- Saturday, January 19, 2019 at Northeastern Illinois University, Ronald Williams Library
- Saturday, February 9, 2019 at UIC-Daley Library
Registration opens January 7.
History Fair Competitions
- Senior Suburban Regional — Saturday, February 23, 2019 at Niles North High School
- Senior City Regional — Saturday, March 9, 2019 at University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC)
- Junior Regional — Saturday, March 30, 2019 at University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC)
- Senior Finals — Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at Chicago History Museum
Website and paper judging takes place off-site. Optional interviews for those students are available at the fairs.
We invite civic-minded adults who enjoy history to volunteer to judge students’ History Fair projects.