CMHF Professional Development
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering History Fair at their schools. Several PD opportunities for Summer/Fall 2021 are in development! Watch this space for the latest offerings. Most PD sessions are free for participating CMHF teachers. Current CMHF teachers have access to recordings, presentations and more resources from past PD sessions. If you do not have the link, just email us!
Also be sure to check out the Chicago History Museum’s other Educator Programs.
Snack, Collaborate and Lesson!
Tuesday, August, 9:30am-12:00pm in-person at CHM (Guild Room), REGISTER
Calling all History Fair Teachers! Join us at the Chicago History Museum for our brand new invention, a collaborative session with other CMHF teachers over coffee or lunch. Get equipped for the coming school year and share ideas, materials, and strategies with other History Fair teachers. CMHF Staff will be present to facilitate and answer questions. All levels of experience are welcome!
- Tuesday, August 10, 9:30am-12:00pm: Coffee and pastries provided by North & Clark Cafe
- Register here – registration will close approx. 4-5 days before event
- Max 15 teachers per session, min. 3
- 2.5 CPDUs
History Fair 101
August 2 through August 6, online OR August 12 at the Chicago History Museum. REGISTER
Learn all of the fundamentals of running History Fair in your classroom in one session! From project categories and rules to archival research and finding quality primary sources, this course is ideal for new History Fair teachers and veteran teachers who want to brush up on the program.
Choose from one of two options:
- ONLINE: We will host a welcome meet-up via Zoom on Monday August 2 (9:30am) to meet your classmates and get oriented. Then, complete the online Google Classroom course at your own pace throughout the week. Join back together for a culminating meet-up on August 6 (4:00pm) to share, reflect, and equip for the coming school year!
- IN-PERSON: Participate in a single, day-long session at the Chicago History Museum on Thursday, August 12 from 9:30am-3:00pm, including a break for lunch. Bring your laptop or tablet (or borrow one from us)! Coffee and snacks provided.
Either option will earn 6 CPDUs for teachers who successfully complete the course. Register for either History Fair 101 section here.
Annual Teacher Kickoff
Saturday, September 18 in-person at CHM. 11:30am-2:00pm.
Learn all about the new History Fair season from the annual theme to new resources available for participating schools. Details coming soon – watch this space!
- Virtual attendance will also be possible.
- Registration coming soon!
NHD Professional Development
- National History Day offers a wealth of resources for working with the new website builder platform, NHDWebCentral. Includes resources updated for 2021!
- National History Day offers numerous online courses, many of which can be taken for graduate credit or audited.