Current History Fair Teachers
We’ve moved all of our classroom and curricular resources to our new Teaching History Fair page.
If you are looking for a particular resource that used to be on this page, you can find it on our CMHF Resource Archive.
Why do History Fair?
History Fair is a powerful tool for both teachers and students.
Students develop high-level academic skills as they conduct research and synthesize sources to build their own arguments. They develop important civic reasoning skills as they critically evaluate sources and connect their study of the past with the world they see around them today. History Fair students build agency and confidence as they become subject-matter experts on their chosen topics.
History Fair teachers become part of a community of practice with other dedicated and knowledgeable History Fair teachers. They gain access to curricular materials, research resources, free virtual classroom visits by History Fair staff, and professional development opportunities.
- See how CMHF helps you meet standards and comply with mandates including the Common Core State Standards and the ISBE Civics Mandates.
- Watch the testimonial videos by fellow teachers as they share their positive experiences.
- National History Day’s “Why NHD Works” page applies to our program as a regional affiliate of National History Day.
Ready to participate? Read on!
Registering to Participate
History Fair requires significant coordination from participating teachers and plenty of time for students. Participating schools should designate a contact History Fair teacher who will be responsible for interfacing between the school and CMHF.
- School registration for the 2020-21 school year is now closed. Registration for the 2021-22 school year will open in fall 2021.
- Check out our 2021 Dates and Deadlines to help plan your academic year.
- Familiarize yourself with the NHD Rule Book. CMHF will now use the NHD rule book at all levels of competition.
- The theme for 2021 is “Communication in History: The Key to Understanding.” Learn more and get topic ideas on our Theme and Topics page.
- Visit and bookmark our Teaching History Fair page for more teacher resources.
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering historical inquiry projects. PDs most often take place in the summer and fall months.
Connecting with Us
- Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to arrange for us to speak to your students.
- Teachers can join our closed, teachers-only CMHF Facebook group to get the latest info first and connect with other History Fair teachers!