Why do History Fair?
History Fair is a powerful tool that meets a variety of standards and educational approaches including the International Baccalaureate and the State Board of Education’s Inquiry-based Learning Standards. Watch the testimonial videos by fellow teachers as they share their positive experiences.
History Fair requires a fair amount of coordination on the teachers’ part to make the process go smoothly. Novice teachers will want to carefully review Getting Started FAQs to help make critical decisions about implementing the project in your school. Also, novices are encouraged to attend a “boot camp” or inquire about a direct consultation with staff – visit our Professional Development page to see upcoming dates.
History Fair Essentials
- Intent to participate form (currently closed – will re-open Fall 2020). Please submit at the beginning of the school year.
- Dates and deadlines for the competitions:
- Rule book for all project categories
- Summary Statement as a PDF file, Word document or Google Doc
- NHD theme and topics page
- Contest Administration Guide — includes project allowances.
- Registration of individual projects will be emailed directly to participating teachers:
- Senior Suburban Registration: Opens Feb 7, Due Feb 19
- Senior City Registration: Opens Feb 14, Due Feb 27
- Junior Metro Registration: Opens March 6, Due March 18
- WeTransfer instructions to upload documentaries
- Instructions to submit papers
- Student authorization form. Now available in Spanish (click here).
- FAQ for each contest to share with students and families (to be posted spring 2020).
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering historical inquiry projects. From offerings in History Fair methods workshops to research experiences and scholar-based sessions, History Fair PD enriches teacher practice and builds content knowledge.
Teaching History Fair
Connecting with Us
- Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to arrange for us to speak to your students.
- For information about the History Fair Partners Fee, click here.