Why do History Fair?
History Fair is a powerful tool that meets a variety of standards and educational approaches including the International Baccalaureate and the State Board of Education’s Inquiry-based Learning Standards. Watch the testimonial videos by fellow teachers as they share their positive experiences.
History Fair requires a fair amount of coordination on the teachers’ part to make the process go smoothly. Novice teachers will want to carefully review Getting Started FAQs to help make critical decisions about implementing the project in your school. Also, novices are encouraged to attend a “boot camp” or inquire about a direct consultation with staff – visit our Professional Development page to see upcoming dates.
History Fair Essentials
- Intent to participate form must be completed each year by December 1 of the school year in which you are participating (currently closed – will re-open Fall 2020).
- Dates and deadlines for the competitions:
- Senior Division (Grades 9-12): Suburban schools
- Senior Division (Grades 9-12): Chicago schools (for all schools geographically located within Chicago)
- Junior Division Virtual Contest deadlines will depend on a variety of factors including when schools are back in session. Details have been emailed directly to participating teachers.
- Rule book for all project categories
- Summary Statement as a PDF file, Word document or Google Doc
- NHD theme and topics page
- Contest Administration Guide — includes project allowances.
- Registration of individual projects will be emailed directly to participating teachers:
- Senior Suburban Registration: Opens Feb 7, Due Feb 19
- Senior City Registration: Opens Feb 14, Due Feb 27
- Junior Metro Registration: Opens March 6, Due March 18
- FAQ for each contest to share with students and families:
- Senior Suburban (Feb 29 @ Niles North)
- Senior City (March 7 @ UIC)
- The Junior Metro contest has been converted to a Virtual Fair. There will be no in-person gathering. Learn how to submit registered projects to the Virtual Fair here.
- The Senior Finals contest has been converted to a Virtual Fair. There will be no in-person gathering.
- Student authorization form. Now available in Spanish (click here).
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering historical inquiry projects. From offerings in History Fair methods workshops to research experiences and scholar-based sessions, History Fair PD enriches teacher practice and builds content knowledge.
Teaching History Fair
Connecting with Us
- Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to arrange for us to speak to your students.
- Teachers can join our closed, teachers-only CMHF Facebook group to get the latest info first and connect with other History Fair teachers!
- For information about the History Fair Partners Fee, click here.