Why do History Fair?
History Fair is a powerful tool that meets a variety of standards and educational approaches including the International Baccalaureate and the State Board of Education’s Inquiry-based Learning Standards. Watch the testimonial videos by fellow teachers as they share their positive experiences.
History Fair requires a fair amount of coordination on the teachers’ part to make the process go smoothly. Novice teachers will want to carefully review Getting Started FAQs to help make critical decisions about implementing the project in your school. Also, novices are encouraged to attend a “boot camp” or inquire about a direct consultation with staff – visit our Professional Development page to see upcoming dates.
History Fair Essentials
- Intent to participate form. Please submit at the beginning of the school year.
- Dates and deadlines for the competitions:
- Rule book for all project categories
- Summary Statement as a PDF file, Word document or Google Doc
- NHD theme and topics page
- Contest Administration Guide — includes project allowances.
- REGISTER advancing projects here.
- WeTransfer instructions to upload documentaries
- Student authorization form. Now available in Spanish (click here).
- FAQ for each contest to share with students and families (to be posted spring 2020).
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering historical inquiry projects. From offerings in History Fair methods workshops to research experiences and scholar-based sessions, History Fair PD enriches teacher practice and builds content knowledge.