We’re overhauling our Educators page to better serve you. Many resources are in the process of being updated. If you are looking for a particular resource that used to be on this page, you can find it on our CMHF Resource Archive.
Why do History Fair?
History Fair is a powerful tool that meets a variety of standards and educational requirements including the Common Core State Standards and the ISBE Civics Mandates. Watch the testimonial videos by fellow teachers as they share their positive experiences.
History Fair requires a significant coordination from participating teachers and plenty of time for students. Novice teachers will want to carefully review Getting Started FAQs and are encouraged to attend a “History Fair 101” PD – visit our Professional Development page to see upcoming dates.
Ready to participate? Start with the “initial actions” below!
Whether you participate every year or are just trying to decide if History Fair is right for your students, our Teacher Newsletter is a great resource with news and info from around the world of history fair! Each issue will bring you updates, instructional resources, PD opportunities, and more from CMHF and our partners.
History Fair Essentials
The 2021 History Fair season, including all Regional contests as well as the State contest (IL History Day) will all take place VIRTUALLY in lieu of in-person contests. Learn more on our Virtual Contests page!
- Each school should complete the CMHF Intent to participate form must be completed each year by December 1 of the school year in which you are participating. Schools are not automatically registered and this form should be completed each year.
- Check out our 2021 Dates and Deadlines to help plan your academic year.
- Register to attend our 2021 Teacher Kickoff on October 20!
- Familiarize yourself with the NHD Rule Book. CMHF will now use the NHD rule book at all levels of competition.
- The theme for 2021 is “Communication in History: The Key to Understanding.” Learn more and get topic ideas on our Theme and Topics page
- Updated Contest Administration information for the 2021 season coming soon!
The Chicago Metro History Fair provides professional development opportunities to support teachers offering historical inquiry projects. From offerings in History Fair methods workshops to research experiences and scholar-based sessions, History Fair PD enriches teacher practice and builds content knowledge.
Teaching History Fair
This section is under construction with all-new materials being developed and will be released in the weeks leading up to our Teacher’s Kickoff on October 20, 2020! As resources are released they will be posted below. If you’re looking for a resource but don’t see it below, you can find it on our CMHF Resource Archive page.
Connecting with Us
- Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to arrange for us to speak to your students.
- Teachers can join our closed, teachers-only CMHF Facebook group to get the latest info first and connect with other History Fair teachers!