Honors and Awards
Learn about students who were recognized with special honors and awards as a result of their hard work during the 2020 History Fair season.
National History Day 2020
Congratulations to all of our student historians who competed in the 2020 NHD Virtual National Contest! We want to recognize the following outstanding achievements:
- “The Oxnard Strike of 1903: Breaking Barriers of Racial Representation in the Labor Force” by Yashas Mattur, Anthony Noce and Ankit Rath from Mead Jr. High: awarded first prize in the nation and named NEH Scholars for their Junior Group Exhibit
- “Soul Train, Soul Change” by Avery Kelly: Outstanding Entry and NMAAHC Documentary Showcase selection (Junior Individual Documentary)
- “Challenging the Ideological Barriers that Justified Slavery and Denigrated Muslims: Former Slave Ayuba Suleiman Diallo is Admitted to the Club” by Ramsey Radwan, Omar Siddiqui, Sizhe Li, Frederick Tang, and Noor Assad: Outstanding Entry (Senior Group Performance)
- “How Jazz Broke Racial and Cultural Barriers” by Lola Fratto: NMAAHC Documentary Showcase selection (Senior Individual Documentary)
- A total of six CMHF projects were NHD Finalists
Scroll through the slides below to view our Senior Division Special Award winners for the 2020 History Fair season! Congratulations to all of our award winners and a very special thank you to our award sponsors.
Illinois History Day – Superior Projects
Congratulations to the creators of the following projects, which were judged to be “Superior” by Illinois History Day Judges:
- Superior Junior Documentaries
- Superior Junior Exhibits
- Superior Junior Performances
- Superior Junior Websites
- Superior Papers
- Superior Senior Documentaries
- Superior Senior Exhibits
- Superior Senior Performances
- Superior Senior Websites
- Superior Senior Papers
The following section lists which projects advanced through the various levels of History Fair and History Day contests in the 2020 season.
Advancing to NHD National Contest
The following projects represented Team Illinois at National History Day 2020! Visit the NHD web page for more information about the National Contest.
Advancing to Illinois History Day
The following projects advanced from the Chicago Metro Regional contests to compete in Illinois History Day 2020 – Virtual Contest:
- Documentaries (corrected 5/4 10:35)
- Websites (corrected 5/5 1:06)
- Papers (corrected 5/2 19:08)
- Exhibits (corrected 5/4 13:28)
- Documentaries (corrected 5/1 15:24)
- Papers (corrected 5/3 18:39)
Note: “corrected” indicates that a misspelled or missing name has been corrected. No projects or students have been removed.