Civic Season | Independence Day
Monday, July 4
Wrap up the Civic Season with us on the Fourth of July as we celebrate freedom and envision what that means for all. Join us in the Museum’s backyard as we reflect on our country’s past and form new traditions for our futures together. Activities include our new children’s Freedom Dance Party, a keynote speech by author and professor Michelle Duster, a Chicago blues jam session, and other family-friendly festivities.
Outdoor event is free to all. The Museum is open from noon until 4:30 p.m. with free admission for Illinois residents.
10:00 a.m. – Freedom Soundstage
DJ Sadie Woods spins a live Independence Day set.
11:00 a.m. – Program
- Performance of “America the Beautiful” and the national anthem by Sarah Jenkins of Allegrezza Singers
- Presentation of colors
- Reading of the Declaration of Independence and poetry response by Chicago Poetry Center poet Luis Tubens
- Opening remarks and keynote introduction by CHM president & CEO Donald Lassere
- Keynote by author and professor Michelle Duster
- Closing remarks by Donald Lassere
12:00–2:30 p.m. – Backyard Fun!
Enjoy musical performances by Lil’Ed & The Blues Imperials and Chicago Blues Super Session, arts & crafts, backyard games, food trucks (Royal Ice Cream and Tacomotora), and a hydration station.